The spell checker checks your spelling within any multiple-line text input field: when filling in forms, composing an Opera Mail message, chatting, or typing notes.
Use the spell checker ¶
When you type in a multi-line text input field, spelling errors are automatically identified by a dotted red line under the word. For single line text fields, spell checking is not automatic, but you can activate it by right-clicking in the field to display a context menu and checking "Check spelling".
Fix spelling errors
To view suggestions for correct spelling, Right-click a misspelled word to display a context menu, and then select the word with the correct spelling. You can also add the word to your default dictionary, ignore all instances of the word, or remove the word from the dictionary.
Turn spell checking on or off ¶
To enable or disable the spell checker, you can either:
- Right-click a multi-line text entry field, and select or deselect "Check Spelling".
- Go to and select or deselect "Check spelling".
Add a dictionary ¶
Opera uses the Hunspell dictionary format, and includes a US English dictionary by default. To add a spell checker dictionary for another language:
- Right-click in an input field to display the context menu.
- Select .
- In the Spell Checker Dictionaries dialog, select the language. You can use the "Quick Find" field at the top of the list to quickly search the full list.
- Check the language you want to use and click "Next".
- Read and accept the license, and click "Next".
- Choose the default dictionary and click "Finish".