- Where can I find basic browser features in Opera for Android?
- How can I customize my news feed and start page?
- Why do I see ads in the start page news feed?
- Why am I receiving notifications from websites?
- How do I add a page to my Speed dials, bookmarks, or my device’s home screen?
- Where are my saved pages?
- Why do I get an ‘incorrect password’ message while syncing?
- Why can’t I connect to the Opera desktop browser via QR code synchronization?
- What is data savings?
- Why is my reported location not my physical location?
- Is data savings secure?
- Can I download media files?
- Does Opera for Android support Flash?
- Where is the exit button?
- How does the Crypto Wallet work?
- How does the VPN feature work?
Where can I find basic browser features in Opera for Android?
The location of Opera’s features and settings differ slightly based on the type of layout you have chosen. To access Opera’s features and settings, tap the menu button at the bottom of the screen in phone layout, or the button at the top of the screen in tablet layout.
To change the layout of Opera, open the menu and go to > Appearance.
The Opera menu contains:
- Controls for VPN, data savings, ad blocking and night mode
- Access to Settings, History, Bookmarks, Crypto Wallet, Aria browser AI, Offline pages, Downloads, and Flow.
- Shortcuts to Appearance, Sync, Passwords, Cards, and Addresses
- The power off button
Open Opera to see your Speed dials and the news feed. You can customize these features under > Start page. You can also find a shortcut button on the start page if you have it enabled.
While browsing the web, look for the context menu button near the search and address bar to interact with, share, or save a web page.
Elements on a web page can be interacted with as well. Tap and hold on a web page element, such as an image or text, to open a pop-up context menu. Now, you can search, copy, or share the selected element, translate highlighted text or download an image.
Tap the tabs counter button to open a visual view of your tabs. The tabs counter is found next to the Opera main menu button.
How can I customize my news feed and start page?
Swipe up and down to move between Speed dials and your news feed. To select channels for your news feed, tap the icon in the top right-hand corner of the news feed.
If you would like to change the settings or turn off the news feed, go to the Opera menu ( ), tap and scroll down to Start page. Unless you have disabled it, you can also find a shortcut button on the start page itself.
Why do I see ads in the start page news feed?
To be able to provide our users with data savings and a free VPN service we are showing ads in the start page news feed. If you do not wish to see this content on your start page, you can turn off the news feature under > > Start page > News.
Why am I receiving notifications from websites?
The notifications shown in Opera are web notifications you have allowed to be sent to your phone. You can choose to clear these notifications in > Notifications.
To clear web notifications, go to the menu and tap , then Notifications. Here, you can clear notifications from individual websites.
How do I add a page to my Speed dials, bookmarks, or my device’s home screen?
Go to the page you want to add, then tap the menu at the right-hand end of the address bar, choose Add bookmark or Add to and choose whether you want to add the page to your Speed dials, save the page to view offline or add it to your device’s home screen.
Where are my saved pages?
Saved pages are now called offline pages, and they can be found by going to the menu and tapping Offline pages.
Why do I get an ‘incorrect password’ message while syncing?
If you have a working Opera installation with bookmarks or other important data, but you have difficulties getting sync to work, you can use the following method:
1. Go to sync.opera.com.
2. Log into your account using your email (or username) and password.
3. Scroll down and find the Reset Passphrase option.
4. Reset your sync data. You won’t lose any data from your device.
5. Go to the menu and tap , then log in again to start syncing.
Why can’t I connect to the Opera desktop browser via QR code synchronization?
If you are already connected to Opera Touch and have difficulties getting Opera for Android and Opera Desktop connected, you can use the following method:
- Make sure Opera Touch still has content in Flow.
- (Desktop) Open Flow from your sidebar, click the 3-dot menu in the top-left, and click Emergency reset.
- (Touch) Connect to Desktop again.
- (Opera for Android) Go to , tap Sync and backup, then tap Connect device.
- (Desktop) Go to opera.com/connect
- (Opera for Android) Scan the QR code.
What is data savings?
Opera can save your mobile data by compressing images and text on the pages you view. Opera’s servers compress data before it reaches your device, extending your data plan and speeding up slow or unreliable networks. To activate data savings, go to the menu, tap , and turn on Data savings.
Why is my reported location not my physical location?
Location services may not accurately show your physical location if you have data savings for Opera turned on. Turning off data savings will improve location services.
To turn off data savings in Opera, go to the Menu and tap . Under Browser, turn off Data savings.
Is data savings secure?
Can I download media files?
Yes. Long-press the content you wish to download and select Download, or tap the download button on video players. Some websites, such as YouTube or Vimeo, may block downloading or offer streaming content that cannot be downloaded.
Does Opera for Android support Flash?
No. Adobe no longer supports Adobe Flash Player on Android devices. Most video sites now offer content as HTML5 video, instead.
Where is the exit button?
If you wish, you can exit the browser by going to the menu and tapping the power button.
Note that it is unnecessary to explicitly exit apps on Android in order to free up memory. The platform automatically manages running applications whenever additional memory space is needed.
How does Opera Crypto Wallet work?
You can find more information about Opera Crypto Wallet in the Crypto Wallet FAQ.
How does the VPN feature work?
You can find more information about the VPN feature in the VPN FAQ.