- I just upgraded to the new Opera Mini and everything looks different. Where is everything?
- How do I add a page to Speed Dial?
- How do I save a page for offline use?
- Can I change where downloads are saved?
- What is night mode?
- What is Extreme data-savings mode?
- Is Opera Mini secure?
- Where is the “Fit to screen” text wrapping feature?
- Can I download media files, such as a YouTube video?
- How can I save and download videos within Opera Mini’s video player?
- Why can’t I save and download some videos?
- Does Opera Mini for Android support Flash?
- My question isn’t on this list. Where can I find out more?
- Can Opera Mini for Android block ads?
- Who can take advantage of the free daily data deal with MTN, Airtel and Safaricom?
- How do I get the free daily data with Opera Mini?
I just upgraded to the new Opera Mini and everything looks different. Where is everything?
The new Opera Mini shares a lot of its appearance and functionality with Opera for Android. If you recently upgraded, get oriented and read answers to frequently asked questions about the new look and feel.
How do I add a page to Speed Dial?
From Speed Dial, tap the + icon to add a Speed Dial entry. Then, enter the page’s address.
If you want to add a page you are currently viewing, tap the menu at the right end of the address bar. Then, select Add to Speed Dial.
How do I save a page for offline use?
Tap the menu at the right end of the address bar. Then, select Save for offline. This adds the page to a Speed Dial group named Saved pages, which you can view without an internet connection.
Can I change where downloads are saved?
Files are downloaded to your Download folder by default. When you begin a download, Opera presents you with confirmation options. If you’d like to save the file to a different location, tap the menu to the right of the file name and select Change location. The folder you choose will be remembered for the next download.
What is night mode?
Night mode dims your screen so you can read more comfortably in the dark. Opera Mini’s smart night mode includes two different settings for your screen: one that dims and one that reduces blue light. Less blue light can help you get to sleep more naturally.
To turn on night mode:
- Tap the settings cogwheel icon in the main menu.
- Tap Night mode…
- Tick the box next to Enabled.
To reduce blue light, tick the box next to Reduce eye strain. Use the slider to adjust the brightness of your screen.
What is Extreme data-savings mode?
Extreme savings gives you the tried and true compression used in previous versions. This compression is heavy-duty, packing pages, images and text down to as little as 10% of their original size. It’s great for travel when you are worried about roaming, or for when you are on congested networks. Extreme-savings mode uses servers to break down webpages and deliver the true content, without all the frills. Pages may not render exactly as intended, but you’ll see amazing results in the amount of data being saved.
Is Opera Mini secure?
The traffic between your device and our servers is encrypted when browsing secure webpages. However, Opera Mini’s cloud-based compression technology must have access to the unencrypted version of the webpage to compress the data. Therefore, no strict end-to-end encryption between the client and the remote web server is possible.
Where is the “Fit to screen” text wrapping feature?
To enable or disable text wrapping:
- Tap the settings cogwheel icon in the main menu and tap Page layout.
- There you can toggle Text wrap on or off.
Can I download media files?
Yes. Long-press the content you wish to download and select Download. Please note that many websites only offer media content as streams that cannot be downloaded.
How can I save and download videos within Opera Mini’s video player?
Tap the menu next to a video and you will see the option Save to Watch later. To change the file name, type a new name on the first line; to change the download location, choose a new folder from the pull-down menu.
Why can’t I save and download some videos?
The save and download feature doesn’t work with sites that have their own video player, like YouTube and Dailymotion.
Does Opera Mini for Android support Flash?
Unfortunately, no. Adobe no longer supports Adobe Flash Player on Android devices. Most video sites now offer content as HTML5 video, instead.
Can Opera Mini for Android block ads?
Yes. If you block ads, pages will load faster and look cleaner.
To block ads:
- Tap the settings cogwheel icon in the main menu .
- Scroll down to and select Data savings.
- Toggle on Ad blocking.
Who can take advantage of the free daily data deal with MTN, Airtel and Safaricom?
Free internet browsing is available to Opera Mini users in the following countries using partner mobile networks. The free browsing is capped daily at 50MB or 100MB, depending on location:
- Nigeria – 50MB per day with MTN or Airtel
- Kenya – 50MB per day with Safaricom or Airtel
- Ghana – 50MB per day with MTN
- South Africa – 100MB per day with MTN
How do I get the free daily data with Opera Mini?
Opera Mini users in the countries listed above will automatically receive the free daily data. Just enable data savings (auto, extreme or high) in Opera Mini and you will browse for free up to the free data cap automatically.
The free daily data covers browsing only; video streaming and file downloads are charged out of your normal data bundle.