What is Speed Dial?
Speed Dial is a set of visual bookmarks that is displayed every time you open a new tab, giving you quick access to your favorite websites and extensions. Each entry in Speed Dial is represented by a thumbnail, and clicking on the thumbnail opens a webpage. The first nine entries are accessible via the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + [1-9].
See the introductory video.
- Add a webpage to your Speed Dial by clicking the star in the address field and choosing "Add to Speed Dial".
- With Opera Link you can synchronize your Speed Dial on all your computers and all your devices.
How do I add a new entry to Speed Dial?
To save a web address as a Speed Dial entry, click on the [+] button. A dialog presents suggestions for addition to Speed Dial, including frequently visited pages, open pages, and Speed Dial extensions: you may select a webpage from the list or type in a new address. It is also possible to drag and drop from bookmarks, panels, or any other location where web addresses are displayed. To add an address, drop it onto the [+] button.
How do I delete an entry from Speed Dial?
To delete a Speed Dial entry, click on the cross on the lower right corner of the thumbnail.
How do I reorganize Speed Dial?
To rearrange, drag and drop the thumbnails; the dragged-and-dropped entry is inserted into the existing order, displacing the other thumbnails.
How do I change the settings for Speed Dial?
By default, Speed Dial presents a fluid layout where the number of columns and the zoom level depends on the number of entries. As you increase the number of entries, the thumbnails become smaller, and the number of columns increases. To configure some or all of Speed Dial manually:
- Click the "Configure" button in the upper right corner of the page.
- To change the background, check "Custom background image", select the positioning of the background image from Best fit, Center, Stretch, or Tile, and locate the image you want to use.
- To change the number of columns, select the relevant drop-down value under "Number of columns".
- To fix the zoom at a pre-determined value, change the drop-down value under "Zoom" to "Manual", and adjust the zoom slider to taste.
- To hide the [+] Speed Dial button, check the checkbox. When the [+] button is hidden, the context menu for Speed Dial includes an additional item, "Add New Dial".
See also: Access favorite sites quickly with Speed Dial in the Introduction to Opera.